Welcome to my stop on this blog hop celebrating the release of Teresa Mairal Barreu's new book, Turnabout Patckwork! I have loved seeing all the variations the other bloggers made, be sure to follow their links at the end of this post if you haven't seen them yet.
If you want to see more of Teresa's work follow these links:
Teresa Mairal Barreu
Sewn Up, TeresaDownUnder
Sewn Up, TeresaDownUnder
Be sure to read to the end of this post to be entered to win a copy of Teresa's book!
The concept of taking simple pieced blocks and slicing them up then turning them every which way was really neat to explore when reading through this book. I am excited to share this book with all my friends at guild as a good way to make fun baby quilts for our community service project!
I thoroughly enjoyed making a little quilt with blocks from the Coordinated Strips section arranged in the Diamonds and Crosses layout. I went to Walla Walla Sew and Vac for my stripe and ended up getting all the coordinating fabric about a week later from them as well! The backing I found at Stash was exactly what I needed to calm down my busy top.
You can see here that I switched up the color placement a little with the "background" fabrics, it felt better putting the colors opposite like this, as if they wanted to be more scrappy.
One of the things mentioned by Teresa in the book is that with these blocks you are dealing with a lot of bias edges. I made sure to starch (well, I use Best Press) my strip sets before cutting them down and I had no problems with the bias.
When I reached this stage I was really pleased to see how my blocks were turning out and that secondary design was really exciting! In the picture above you can see the pinwheels pretty clearly, but in the one below I feel like the squares are prominent. And all I did was add sashing and cornerstones!
I did a tiny sashing between my blocks, 1/2 inch finished! But it was enough to keep the secondary pattern looking continuous.
I was hustling to get my quilt loaded on the longarm and finish stitching before the Super Bowl began. The last stitches went in 2 minutes before the game started! The Diagonal Plaid pattern from Patricia Ritter stiched out wonderfully (and quickly!) and looks really great with two layers of 80/20 batting.
My quilt ended up finishing at 38 inches square using nine blocks and 4 inch borders, which makes for a great baby quilt or even a driving quilt, I am thinking I will put it in the car for the next few weeks.
I also made my first scrappy binding! It went really well and I am definitely doing that again. And look, we finally have winter weather!
This Bandana yardage I found for the backing is really pretty. They had some orange too, I may need to go pick some up...
Eek! Snowflakes that are taking on their snowflaky form!
I was able to get Thomas to inspect for me in between daily tasks, thanks buddy for taking time out of your busy schedule to check out my latest quilt.
Thank you for stopping by to see my project from this fun book. Remember to leave a comment to be entered to win a digital copy of it for yourself! I will draw a winner on February 14th.
Have a wonderful day!