Well, I'm pretty happy with myself, I just completed a project that satisfied my yearning for Christmas fabric, that need to make a Christmas something, and allowed me to practice my quilting. I found a blog that hosted a Christmas in July hop which focused on small projects that can easily be finished before Christmas. And on top of that they're offering a giveaway for making one of the projects! I was immediately drawn to the first project they showed, which is a wreath wall hanging and also their button for the hop:
After I read thru the instructions a couple times I convinced myself I needed to use the Solstice mini charm pack, so I went to Stash and bought one. And what were the odds, they were having a sale! If I was really wise, I'd have bought two... oh well! The tutorial mentions using some extra fabric for the grey and red borders, and I thought oh I should be fine, I have red and grey in my stash. As you will see, they were not the right colors, so I improvised! Also, as I was assembling the top I came to the conclusion that since I already have a Christmas wall hanging, that this would make a fabulous pillow sham. So that's what I did, and here's how mine was done differently than their tutorial:
|Making my wreath have a rounded look, I chose to not take one of the greens to sacrifice for use on the inside corners, instead I figured I could use the little triangles from these outside corners|
|And I did! Wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but I made it happen.|
|Had to do the magic twist of course :) By the way, if I ever make this again, I will press the seams all towards the green (or possibly open) for stitching-in-the-ditch purposes.|
|Here I was figuring out how I wanted to balance my reds and greys. The off-white has a gold sparkle on it that is really subtle but ended up matching what I chose for the backing really well.|
|To make the bow I cut out the only fusible interfacing I had and auditioned the size and placement.|
|Then fused it to the back of the red.|
|Top complete and ready to baste and quilt.|
|I follow Lori Kennedy at The Inbox Jaunt for my free motion quilting practice, which is what is up on my computer in the background. My Bernina and I are working on becoming friends again. Mostly I find she likes Aurifil thread as long as it's in the bobbin as well as is the top thread, I never had any problems with breakage in this whole project. Probably helps that I also had the tension under control.|
|A snowflake centerpiece. I found while doing this that I really need the lines to follow or I end up all over the place, my hands have a greater tendency to lose control of the fabric and my stitches get all out of control. It seems so weird, but then I remind myself, that's why they make stencils!|
|And from the front.|
|And complete! All I did was add the backing pieces to make a pillow sham, although I did have to piece together my backing pieces to make it work.|
|The inside seam brought the sham down to about 14.5" x 14.5", so fit my 14" pillow form just right!|
So I hope you're inspired to get ahead on your Christmas projects as well, I am off to work on that wedding quilt for the wedding that happened over a month ago now... no more procrastinating for the rest of the year! AHAHAHAHAHA, right.
Have a great day!