Monday, July 14, 2014

Christmas in July is happening for me!

I am so excited because I have just made myself a promise that I will allow myself to work on Christmas projects the next two weeks!  I adore Christmas fabric, and have some set aside for a bed runner that is inspired by this:
 
 
I love how the faces have so much personality!
 
I have been working on a couple other projects as well, actually have a finish too!  I had seen the video from Missouri Star Quilt Co about making a dresden plate block with their tumbler, and as I have the mini tumbler I decided I needed to know how big a block would be when you make it.  9.5 inches is the answer!
 
Turns out the tumbler dresden only needs 16 pieces, so I left a couple out.

Inside look at the dresden making process :)

Yup, ~9.5 inches

My personal favorite piece
Here is the finished product!  I for some unknown reason, ending up closing the binding on the front.  That was not the plan... But it still looks good!

I used this as an opportunity to practice FMQ on my Bernina 750 QE, and I feel pretty good about it!  And I did the overlapping fabric as the backing, so technically this is a pillow sham and will be going to my cousin in Portland as soon as they get moved back into their house (her room caught on fire, fortunately everyone is fine including Butch, her cat).
 
Picked up some Timeless Treasures fabric from Craft Warehouse (until that day I was unaware CW even carried fabric, and not only that but MODA fabric!)

Actually didn't follow a pattern, read somewhere that this table runner uses equilateral triangles for the end pieces and figured it out for myself!  It wasn't difficult for me, but math/angle type things are not difficult for me, so there you go.  I plan on a post that is focused on this runner, and I definitely want to pick up some Christmas themed striped fabric now!  I will say, one of these times I'm going to remember to actually measure my pieces and think it thru a little in regards to my backing, I ended up ~2 inches short of having the right length of backing fabric.  Not a huge deal, I pieced 2 pieces of it together, but you know, sometimes it's nice to have a solid backing.

And this beaut is actually a 3 week late wedding present!  Hopefully my friend isn't reading my blog, but if so, surprise!  hahaha, I'm so excited to get this done, I just cut out the fabric for the border (a deep blue with the red as cornerstones) and will finish getting those on this week for sure, then take it to my mom's place to baste it all together.  John helped me choose a sandy colored flannel backing.  I am going to quilt it on my Bernina and am thinking a large feather-type pattern will look nice.
 
Other things on my holiday list include:
 
*Hunter's star for dad
*Scrappy four patch for sister
*Strawberry quilt for John and me
*finishing my lap blanket for work (needs batting and sewn up, should be easy enough...)
*make myself new sweatpants
 
Oh!  And I made a super fun cupcake bouquet the other day, and got paid for it!  Always a fun perk :)
 

Have a wonderful day!
~Brandy
 

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow, you have been busy since we talked. Love the pillow and the runner. The quilt turned out great. Love the colors. Is this the one the lady thought you chose the wrong color for? I finished the 4th of July top, just have to find someone to quilt it for me. Oh, and the cupcakes look delicious.

Cate said...

That snowman cushion is super cute and would look amazing as a bed runner! You've been so busy, i love the cushion, dresden scares me! x